Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:39:51 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the de driver dead?

Avalon Books wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Dennis wrote:
-snip-
> > The card you site is not a 21040 nor a -AC or later, so how is this relevant?
> >
> > The first problem is that there is seemingly no way to get the 10/100 cards
> > to work on a 10mb/s network as they "autosense" wrong and when set
> > manually do not work with the DE driver.
> >
> > db
> >

>    Considering the 21041A is a 21040 with a few minor firmware revisions I
> think it might be relevent. It seems the de driver itself has been
> essentially unchanged in quite a while, and I think it might of a value to
> determine why the supposed problems with the de driver manifest themselves
> the way they do. And those of us in the hardware business find
> multi-platform and third party testing to be extremely useful for locating
> both software and hardware flaws. For all we know, the chip isn't at
> fault--maybe its a bus interfacing problem, or an interface compliance
> problem, or who knows what else...

I've also had problems at the 2.2.6 times with Accton 10/100 cards with
DECchip. It wasn't autodetecting and I couldn't get it to actually
connect to the hub. Win95 worked fine.

I don't remeber the exact type (I think it was 21041A) but I can
probably
dig such a card up and test it if that helps to solve the problem.

Bill, are you interested in yet another driver to hack?.

PS: We are an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B exclusive shop now :)
--
Andre