Date:      Fri, 27 May 2011 00:04:34 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Shant Kassardjian <shant@skylab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SR71-A Txpower Question

Hi!

No worries. I plan on digging up my previous emails with Ubiquiti and
documenting exactly what the SR-71A behaviour should be.

Thanks,

Adrian

On 26 May 2011 11:14, Shant Kassardjian <shant@skylab.ca> wrote:

> Hello Adrian,
>
> Glad to see you're always there for us!
>
> I spent countless hours looking for ubiquiti documentation that proves se=
tting txpower 0 turns off the device...

> and found nothing so far. Either way, I still see this as a useful featur=
e to consider :)

> Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding the txpower formula, it mak=
es much more sense now whenever I play with the power transmit settings.

> Thanks again!
> Shant K
>
>> Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 00:43:21 +0800
>> Subject: Re: SR71-A Txpower Question
>> From: adrian@freebsd.org
>> To: shant@skylab.ca
>> CC: freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ifconfig wlan0 txpower 0 merely sets the txpower to 0dBm, which isn't
>> "off" strictly speaking. It's actually 1mW.
>>
>> The SR-71A also has a TX power offset in hardware. If I remember
>> right, the hardware is actually a couple of dBm higher than what you
>> configure. So when you configure 19 dBm, you're programming the
>> hardware at 19dBm, but the hardware responds by allowing a max of
>> 16dBm per channel, which is * 3 (3 TX chains, as per the patch I gave
>> you) to give ~ 21dBm. I'd have to check the math to get the exact tx
>> power offset but that's roughly what's going on.
>>
>> Now, if it's documented somewhere that 0 dBm should be "killing" the
>> interface, let me know. :)
>>

>> Adrian
>>
>> On 25 May 2011 00:24, Shant Kassardjian <shant@skylab.ca> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello FreeBSD-Wireless,
>> >
>> > I've been running SR71-A on FreeBSD 8.1 for quite some time now and it=
's been running very well. Many thanks to Adrian Chadd who really helped ir=
oning out all my questions!

>> > My only problem so far that I've noticed is that when I do: =A0ifconfi=
g wlan0 txpower 0; this does not turn off power to the wireless as it's sup=
pose to and rather I have to bring down the interface manually to shut it d=
own hence whenever I need to start it up again I have to reconfigure the in=
terface.

onfig has little to no effect controlling this adapter.

>> > My question is that, could it be because I have compiled the kernel wi=
th the following modifications as suggested by Adrian Chadd to take advanta=
ge of Max 3x antenna transmit power that I am having this problem?