Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2017 23:54:27 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openldap-client vs openldap-sasl-client

Miroslav Lachman wrote on 2017/01/09 23:48:
> Jan Bramkamp wrote on 2017/01/05 11:30:
>> On 04/01/2017 18:32, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you I understand correctly that it is impossible now to install
>>> both samba44
>>> and libreoffice using the official FreeBSD package repository?
>>> Or samba44 and KDE?
>>>
>>> If yes, then that sucks...
>>
>> Yes and yes it sucks. The "solution" is to build your own repo and set
>> the right flags to always use the same LDAP client port. With binary
>> packages and the speed of modern x86_64 systems I for one no longer see
>> removing SASL support from OpenLDAP as useful enough to justify the
>> complexity. Are there any reasons other than saved build time to disable
>> this dependency (e.g. a bad security track record/process, different
>> licenses)?
>
> And what is the right way to choose SASL / NON-SASL version globaly?
> We are building packages in our poudriere, but I cannot find the proper
> variable / option for this.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

I don't need SASL for LDAP client, but somebody messed up ports tree
with WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL which is for users and not maintainers:

# WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL
#                               - User-defined variable to depend upon
SASL-enabled OpenLDAP
#                                 client. Must NOT be set in a port
Makefile.

So why it is set there

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/databases/ldb/Makefile?r1=430417&r2=430416&pathrev=430417

and there