Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 95 10:14 PST
From:      jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb

> > I was just noticing the announcement about the latest version of gdb
> > being avilable, and it made me wonder howcome, when gdb is customized for
> > so many differenct environments, how come they don't include stuff so
> > that it would work out of the box on FreeBSD?
>
> probably because I never sent in any patches. One thing I noticed was
> that there's now a freebsd target in config.guess, but it doesn't work
> because there isn't any freebsd target in config.sub. This is trivial to fix.
>
> A bigger problem is that gdb/solib.c doesn't compile for -current. I haven't
> had time to do more than note this fact. What happens with 2.1 or earlier
> versions I can't say. I only run -current.
>
> The code in bfd seems to be correctly done, at least it compiles with
> FBSD specific stuff.

The latest gdb release from the FSF was 4.15.1.  Just before that came
out, I had built 4.15 and tried it on my FreeBSD-2.0.5 system.  That
seemed to build and function OK.  I did send them one small patch, just
to get rid of a warning about PAGE_SIZE being redefined (in bfd/i386bsd.c).
I don't know whether my patch made it into 4.15.1 or not.

> > Couldn't someone who knows the reasons why, communicate them to Cygnus,
> > and get us on their list of supported systems?
>
> I'll put this on my TODO list. I'm planning to port the newest gdb RSN.

That would be great.  I started to look at it, but I really don't have
the time to devote to it right now.

If you work on it, you should probably get the latest gdb snapshot from
the Cygnus machine.  They've rejiggered the configuration mechanism
quite a bit, and lost FreeBSD support again.  It looks pretty easy to
put it back in, but again, I don't have time right now to figure out the
details.
   Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington USA