Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:17:28 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        "James J." <faze@soon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updateing from 4.0 - 4.4

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 07:30:34AM +0800, James J. wrote:
> hi,
>   im not the most expierenced user, I was woundering if it were possible
> to update from FreeBSD4.0 - FreeBSD 4.4 without a clean install(format
> and install) ? if so how ? or where can i find directions on how to do
> this?

If you have the 4.4 CD, you can choose the Upgrade option from the
installation menu. The alternative is to cvsup the sources and then
build a 4.4 system from it.

If you choose the latter option (you'll learn a lot more!), instructions
are available from:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Cheers.