Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:42:44 EST
From:      User151038@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with FreeBsd 4.0

2/12/01

To FreeBSD Support or Sales:

I have successfully partitioned my 10GB hard drive on my HP 6540c system, and
have FreeBSD version 4.0 running, along with Windows 98, and several versions
of Linux.

However, after weeks of trying, including studying the manual, I have been
unable to get the Xfree86 GUI to display in FreeBSD at any resolution but
320x204.
Red Hat 6.2 Linux, on the other hand, runs properly in the 640x480 or 800x600
modes.  It is obviously, using the same hardware. Version 3.3.6  of Xfree86
is used in  both operating systems
    You may not be aware, that in this model HP, the video card is
implemented in an Intel i810 chipset on the motherboard, and Red Hat has
provided a special version of the SVGA driver, as well as a software module
called 'agpgart.o' to solve the problem. I have also tried, unsuccessfully,
to move this software to the Slackware 7.1 version of Linux.  I suspect that
the kernel may be involved, but I am using the 2.2.16-3 kernels.

All this leads to my reason for writing, and this is, to ask the question,
whether FreeBSD versions 4.1 or 4.2 will fix this problem?  I would like to
buy the update CDROM package, if it would work, and I don't need another copy
of the same manual.

HP has been selling a lot of this and other models that use this chipset for
the last year, so you may have an answer.

Respectively,

    Bill Wray
    User151038@AOL.com
    714-817-9042