Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:50:17 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: junk in remote mutt

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:32:24PM -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Chad Perrin wrote:

> >> Don't see it here. If you are sure that mutt uses UTF-8 charset (ie,
> >> forced it with 'set charset="utf-8"'), make sure it's linked against
> >> ncursesw library (and not just ncurses) - need to use WITH_NCURSES_PORT
> >> on 6.2 and earlier or build it using WITH_SLANG.
> >
> >I finally got around to checking the settings in the Makefile and
> >recompiling mutt.  End result: same problem.  If anyone else has any
> >ideas what might be causing this problem, please let me know.
> >
> >addendum: The computer I'm using as a client to access mutt on another
> >machine doesn't have this same problem locally.  When I open a local mutt
> >instance, there's no junk on the screen.  I decided to try using SSH
> >through the remote system where I'm encountering this issue, then from
> >there using SSH to get back to the local machine, and opened mutt inside
> >this contrived SSH loop.  Still no problem.  Thus, whatever the problem
> >is seems to be particular to the remote machine.
> >

> What is your TERM environment variable setting?  Are the terminfo
> files on the remote system current?

The TERM environment variable on both systems is set to `rxvt`.  I'm not
sure what I should be looking for to be sure the terminfo file is
correct.

> I'm reasonably sure that mutt uses ncurses, and if it is not
> built correctly, that could also cause problems.

I have tried both the default (WITH_SLANG=yes) and WITH_NCURSES_PORT=yes
on the remote system.  Otherwise, I haven't mucked about with the
Makefile of mutt at all.

Brian K. Reid: "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."