Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:33:20 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        "Barriscale" <snizay@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp problems!

At 07:20 PM 4/13/98 -0000, Barriscale wrote:
[sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiip]

>I've set
>device /dev/cuaa0. Also my modem is a 33.6K modem so I've set speed to
>115200, but I've tried lower
>speeds like 57600, 38400 and even 19200.

Set it to 115200. You will benefit from your modem comperssion this way.

>command used to start ppp:
>#ppp -alias interactive
>ppp ON myname>dial
>dial OK
>login OK

Hey !!! There you are !

After that "login ok" you should receive something like this:

login OK!
ppp ON brain> Packet mode.
ppp ON brain>
PPP ON brain>

(brain here is the name of my computer)

Notice that the last line has "PPP" in upper case, and it means that you
are connected and ready to rock and roll.

Now you just have to open a new terminal (by typing alt + F2, alt + F3,
etc...) and call your favorite aplication like FTP, lynx, and so on.

If you prefere, start X windows, open an Xterm, invoke ppp and connect to
your ISP, open a new terminal and run netscape, etc.

>snizay@indigo.ie
>p.s. What exactly is the difference between pppd and ppp (user-mode)

the pppd (the "D" in the end stands for daemon) is daemon that will ru
stand alone, w/o user interference.

ppp if the user module. The user will be responsible for calling the
application telling it the connection it has to manage, etc...

I don't have further details, since I don't use pppd, but take a look at
man ppp and man pppd.

I hope it helped.

Regards, and enjoy your FREEdom, hehehe !