Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:04:26 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nuno.teixeira@pt-quorum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chflags bug?

> The problem is: if I set on the 'schg' flag to a file, then I cannot
> remove it with the 'noschg' option.

That's the idea!  If the system is in securelevel >= 1, the system
immutable flag can't be unset.  The point is to protect vital system
components from tampering, accidental and otherwise.  Since you can't
lower the securelevel (unless you want to use ddb, but that's a story
for another thread), you have two choices,

  1) boot into single user mode, unset the flag (or install the kernel), or
  2) set kern_securelevel_enable to "NO" in rc.conf.

In a lower securelevel, you'll be able to unset the schg flag.

Hope this helps

						Dima Dorfman
						dima@unixfreak.org