Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:32:14 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Flash 9 on stable

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008, at 23:05:26 +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 02:25:37PM -0500, Mark Kane wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm using RELENG_7 as of yesterday which appears to have the
> > linprocfs fixes from CURRENT, and I also updated linux-flashplayer9
> > with the patch from the above PR.
> >
> > When trying to use Flash 9 in linux-opera a few Flash items work
> > (such as Adobe's test page which confirms it is using version 9 and
> > sound does work on the rollovers there), but most things including
> > YouTube videos or videos from other sites either do not play at all
> > and lock up immediately or play for a few seconds and then lock up:
> >
> > ----------------
> > opera: Plug-in 90514 is not responding. It will be closed.
> > opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep
> > blocked plug-ins.
> > ----------------
> >
> > Trying with linux-firefox and linux-firefox-devel gives similar
> > results except Firefox crashes entirely on most Flash sites.
> >
> > I was using linux_base-fc4 and 2.4.2 however I updated to
> > linux_base-f8 and 2.6.16 since I saw others in the above emulation@
> > thread having success with f8. There doesn't seem to be any change
> > with f8.
> >
> > Is this still the expected behavior? I'm not sure if these fixes
> > were supposed to fix everything related to Flash 9 or if there are
> > still things to be done, so I'm just giving it a try and posting
> > the results. I am running amd64 by the way.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance,
>
> Hmm, finaly I noted this thread. There is one more patch in the
> pipeline for 7 that is needed, as I was told. Testing of that patch
> seems to be stalled, so I am interested in the feedback.

Hi.

Thanks for the patch. I just tested Flash 9 with it applied however
there does not seem to be much change. YouTube videos now show up for
one second in linux-opera but then the plugin hangs like before with the
same "plugin not responding" message on the terminal. On another site
with Flash it hung linux-opera up in the "pipdwc" state according to
top. linux-firefox and linux-firefox-devel both still crash.

I also tried nspluginwrapper this time with native Firefox 3 as J.R.
said. It doesn't crash like the Linux Firefoxes but hangs the browser
for a couple minutes (eventually does recover, but Flash doesn't play)
and these appear on the terminal:

-----
*** NSPlugin Wrapper
*** ERROR: NPP_DestroyStream() wait for reply: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_URLNotify() invoke: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() invoke: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NP_Shutdown() invoke: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Write() wait for reply: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_DestroyStream() invoke: Message
timeout
-----

Thanks again,

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)