Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:29:41 +0100
From:      Krzysztof Kowalik <kkowalik@uci.agh.edu.pl>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD sound distortion problems with SB Live! fixed with PREEMPTION

Ivan Voras [ivoras@fer.hr] wrote:
> [...]
> Not exactly a freeze, but PREEMPTION doesn't help me at all with SB Live
> (slowdowns, stuttering sound, etc.), especially with large amounts of
> filesystem operations (this is 5-stable).

Exactly. I tried to use both emu10k1 and emu10kx drivers, with kernel
with and without PREEMPTION, and both 5.x and 6.0 serie did behave same.
Intensive I/O made the system quite unusable, and it was not only a
sound-related issue, but a general one -- slow, lagging mouse in X, etc.

I asked about it on stable@ and somehow got no answers but "me too".

Finally, I decided to restore my 4.9 system from the backups, where the
problem does not exist.

Regards,
--
Krzysztof Kowalik               |  () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Computer Center, AGH UST        |  /\ Support plain text e-mail