Date:      Mon, 5 May 2014 07:11:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        =?utf-8?B?TWFya28gQ3VwYcOE77+9?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another busy mount point

> Hi,
>
> I have problem unmounting external FAT32-formatted USB drive on
> 10.0-RELEASE-p1 (with XFCE):
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % umount /usr/home/pacija/mnt
> umount: unmount of /usr/home/pacija/mnt failed: Device busy
>
> lsof /usr/home/pacija/mnt gives no output.
>
> I am not under mounted part in terminal or Thunar, I have no su session
> left there.
>
> I am mounting it as user, here are relevant lines:
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % sudo gpart show da5
> =>       34  975400893  da5  GPT  (465G)
>          34  975400893    1  mbr  (465G)
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % mount
> /dev/ada0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
> tmpfs on /tmp (tmpfs, local)
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
> fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
> data on /data (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
> data/pacija on /usr/home/pacija/data (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
> /dev/da5p1 on /usr/home/pacija/mnt (msdosfs, local, nosuid, mounted by
> pacija)
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % cat /etc/sysctl.conf
> kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1
> vfs.usermount=1
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % cat /etc/devfs.rules
> [system=10]
> add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group operator
> add path 'cd*' mode 0666
> add path 'da*' mode 0666
> add path 'pass*' mode 0666
> add path 'xpt*' mode 0666
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % cat /etc/rc.conf
> devfs_system_ruleset="system"
>
> pacija@mephala:~ % cat .gaminrc
> poll /home/pacija/mnt/*
>
> Any advices?

Greetings,
 I frequently experience similar behavior when running x11-wm/xfce4.
I only investigated the matter long enough to determine that there
weren't any pending writes to the mount points. After discovering that
this was going to be a consistent problem, with no /reasonable/ cause.
I simply issue:

umount -f /some/mount-point

which never causes any problem, and always dis-mounts the mount points.

--Chris