Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 19:47:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Noses <noses@noses.com>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   (fwd) Re: Re[2]: [kris@obsecurity.org: Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc]

So spoke mi@aldan.algebra.com (Mikhail Teterin):
>On 14 May, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> Assuming your database is a serious production quality system it will
>> implement its own style of data integrity and consistancy checking
>> on top of the filesystems in case it happens to crash.
>
>Is not this a slightly wrong attitude? Why does a serious production
>quality database needs its own checking for problems, which can only
>be come from OS if it runs on a serisous production quality OS?

Well... Once upon a time there was a major German online service provider (I
refuse calling this kind of service ISP) who ran their accounting database
on a faily new fairly big Sun E10K with lots of online storage behind it
(millions of accounting records per day take some space). Only after
recycling the oldest backup tapes someone noticed complete database
corruption - caused by a broken SCSI driver writing nonesense to the disk.

So much about "serious production quality OS"es. The only OS without any
serious problems of this kind I've ever had was Tandem's Nonstop kernel and
I'm sure I was just lucky.

Noses.