Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2012 14:55:43 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITH_NEW_XORG=yes -- failure

On 11/05/12 14:48, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Well, I found a spare drive (or rather a spare partition) and I did the
> following:
>
> 1)  Installed FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 (kernel+base)
> 2)  login as root
> 3)  portsnap fetch extract
> 4)  Inserted  WITH_NEW_XORG=yes into /etc/make.conf
> 5)  setenv BATCH yes
> 6)  cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade; make install
> 7)  portinstall xorg gthumb x11-wm/fvwm2
> 8)  X -configure
>

> It appears to me that that last step failed rather entirely, for reasons
> that _I_ most certainly do not understand.  Can anyone shed some light
> on this?  What did I do wrong?
>
> Here is the log of what happened.  I really have no idea how to interpret this.

> root@blackie-l:/root # X --configure
>
> X.Org X Server 1.10.6
> Release Date: 2012-02-10
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 amd64
> Current Operating System: FreeBSD blackie-l.tristatelogic.com 9.1-RC2 FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 #0 r241106: Mon Oct  1 18:26:44 UTC 2012     root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
> Build Date: 05 November 2012  12:14:24AM
>
> Current version of pixman: 0.24.2
> 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> 	to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> 	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> 	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Nov  5 13:32:19 2012
> List of video drivers:
> 	ati
> 	radeon
> 	nv
> 	mach64
> 	radeonhd
> 	r128
> 	openchrome
> 	vesa
> (++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
> (II) [KMS] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol, no kernel modesetting.
> Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
>   Configuration failed.
Try hand writing your xorg.conf (or using an old one, or using none at
all)...WITH_NEW_XORG does apparently use some new methods to probe for
video, but in this case it sounds like X -configure is getting confused
by a video controller you don't use or there is some other issue probing
one device. The error message is vague, it's hard to tell if it's say a
device issue or an edid issue (for example) because it doesn't imply
whether screens are more numerous or devices. You could try removing all
drivers except the ones you intend to use as well.

Matt