Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:11:35 -0500
From:      Damon Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        Chris Snell <chris@bikeworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Ultra160 RAID Recommendations

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 07:43:00AM -0500, Chris Snell wrote:

> We just purchased a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with their PERC3/Di controller and
> I'm using Mike Smith's driver.  Right now, I'm having trouble getting the
> OS to install on the machine--disk access locks up halfway or so through
> the install.  I don't want to blame Mike's drivers because I'm not at all
> sure that they are at fault but I'd like to hear from others about their
> successes/failures with this particular RAID controller.  Also, I'm
> interested in hearing about some alternatives to this controller, if there
> are any.

Yesterday I slipped a RAID-5 volume, created on an Adaptec SCSI-RAID
2100S card, underneath my system, replacing the existing non-raid
discs on the fly (except for a brief period of shutdown/reboot
to finalize everything and dump/restore /var).

This uses the "asr" driver, which lists Mike Smith as the maintainer.

The RAID-5 volume is based on 4 9gig ultra-160 drives, and during the
transition, I had an ultra2 drive on the same bus (internal branch),
with no problems.

The 2100S bios allowed me to construct the raid-5 volume, and
judicious selection of SCSI-IDs allowed me to move it's ID assignment
past the ID=6 boot disc, so I could get the system to boot
with the RAID-5 volume online. (it takes the lowest ID as the ID to
assign to the RAID-5 volume ... not sure what happens long term, if
that particular disc were to "drop out").

All during the f/s layout, newfs, dump/restore, the RAID-5 volume was
being rebuilt by the on-board f/w, but nevertheless, it functioned
flawlessly as the disk it advertized (just slower).

The only problem was the one I always run into.  I forget where
/stand/sysinstall is, and I try to use "fdisk/disklabel", beating
my head bloody until I remember that there is a better way.

So far, I am happy!