Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:15:46 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   The "BT848 RISC Challenge"

Thought that'd grab your attention   :-)

THE CHALLENGE:  Figure out how to get the BT848 to DMA pixels in
                RGBRGB packed 24bpp (3Bpp) format to the frame buffer or
                memory.

     It'd be cool if we could do this to support those of us whose Xservers
config the card for this format.  For now, the driver limits direct video
in 24bpp to those folks that have BGRBGR packed 24bpp organization.

SOME OPTIONS:

    1. Put the chip in RGB32 pixel FIFO mode with byte and short swapping
       enabled (ARGBARGB).  For each pixel, write 2 RISC instructions:  a
       SKIP to skip the Alpha, and a WRITE to blast the RGB.

       Hmmmmmm, let's see....that's only 2.5 Megs for a 640x480 image.  :-)

    2. Rotate the HUE 90 deg.  (I'm not kidding.  It works.  It's ugly but
       it works!)

Anybody know a kindler, gentler way to do this on the chip? :-)

Randall