Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2016 04:12:18 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 01:53:42AM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 03 Mar 2016, at 00:54, Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >=20
> > For those who have missed the initial email surrounding this topic, we
> > are planning on packaging the base system with pkg(8) for 11.0-RELEASE.
> > # pkg update -r FreeBSD-base
> > # pkg install -g 'FreeBSD-*'
>=20
> FWIW, this went all OK for me on the first try, even.  I indeed got 755
> packages, output of "pkg info" and "pkg stat" are attached.
>=20

Great.

> I didn't use your lib32 patch, since I don't mind the 32 bit libs to be
> packaged separately.  I got 342 packages with "-lib32" in their names.
>=20

It's not a patch for lib32, but a patch to ensure shlibs for the base
system are properly tracked.  Converse to your reply, it tracks shlibs
*except* lib32.

> Any suggestions for specific things to test?

"Do things."  I have this running several machines in my network, one is
a CUPS server on an RPI-B, for example.  Basically, best test cases are
the day-to-day stuff.

> Of course some sort of
> upgrade scenario would be nice to try out, but then I'd have to run
> "make packages" over a newer version of the release-pkg branch...
>=20

An upstream repository for an upgrade path is planned, but not until
this is merged to head.  And even after that, infrastructural changes
will be necessary.

That said, I'm doing a MFH to the branch now.

Thank you for testing.

Glen

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu--