Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:56:53 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Alexandre DELAY <alexandre.delay@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Alexandre DELAY wrote:
> Don't you think that flash drives are also a good solution?
>
> I am sure that it will be the future replacement for hard drive disks.
> see http://www.memtech.com/ for example
>
> With no buffer and 1ms access delay you minimise write failures. It is an
> interresting solution.

Hmm, I see no prices listed on the Memtech web site (did I simply
miss them?). So, what does a 96GB flash drive cost in comparison to a
magnetic disk hard drive of similar capacity?

Stories of the impending demise of magnetic disk drives have been
circulating since at least the late '70s (back then I seem to remember
that bubble and/or CCD memory was to spell their doom). So far, it
appears that nothing has come along that has been able to compete on a
cost per byte basis. Flash memory might be the technology to do it, but
somehow I doubt it.

Bob