Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:44:41 -0500
From:      Jay Hall <jhall@socket.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnu tar checkpoint variable expansion

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am working with gnu tar checkpoints this morning can cannot seem to
get variables to expand properly when they are passed as part of a
checkpoint action.  Following is how I am using gnu tar

DIR="/home/test"
WHATTOBACKUP="/home/somedir"

/usr/local/gtar-1.22/bin/tar -cf - ${WHATTOBACKUP} \
	--checkpoint-action='echo=Checkpoint #%u' --checkpoint-action='exec=/
usr/local/scripts/check_disk_usage.sh ${DIR}'

When I use ${DIR} as a parameter, it is not sent to the
check_disk_usage_script.  However, if I replace ${DIR} with /home/
test, everything works fine.

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay