Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:03:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, lev@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_MODULES: does it work?

Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:
 >   I'm trying to build very small FreeBSD installation (8.1-STABLE) and
 >   trying  to  use  WITHOUT_MOUDLES="list" on buildkernel stage. But it
 >   builds all modules anyway.

No, it doesn't.  WITHOUT_MODULES (note spelling) works fine.

 > % cd /usr/src/sys/modules
 > %make -V SUBDIR | grep -l 3dfx
 > (standard input)
 > %make WITHOUT_MODULES=3dfx -V SUBDIR | grep -l 3dfx
 > (standard input)
 > %
 >
 >   What do I do wrong?

You use the -l option of grep, which hides the actual match.
Note that there are actually _two_ modules containing the
string "3dfx":  3dfx itself and 3dfx_linux.  So even when
you exclude the 3dfx module, the other one will still be
included and trigger the grep output.

The following will make it clearer:

$ cd /usr/src/sys/modules
$ make -V SUBDIR | tr ' ' '\n' | grep 3dfx
3dfx
3dfx_linux
$ make WITHOUT_MODULES=3dfx -V SUBDIR | tr ' ' '\n' | grep 3dfx
3dfx_linux
$

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman