Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:10:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        njensen@salsa.habaneros.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lost /dev/log

Lo and behold, Doug White once said:

> syslog is way to inportant to disable.  I don't see a way offhand to
> remove the TCP port; I guess you could move it to something else and
> change all the systems that log to your machine to use the new port.

   Configure IP firewalling in your kernel and mask off the port you use
for syslog from all but the local system(s).  Just make sure your
router/termservers prevent IP spoofing as they should. :)

    -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)