Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:13:55 -0500
From:      Adam Vandemore <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chicken and egg

Steven Friedrich wrote:
> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>> Steven Friedrich wrote:

>>> pkg_info -r cairo\* shows that cairo needs libdrm.
>>> Information for cairo-1.8.6_1,1:
>>>
>>> Depends on:
>>> Dependency: libdrm-2.4.9
>>>
>>> If anyone has a has a test system, where they could try my scenario,
>>> i.e., deleting all installed packages and trying to install xorg, I
>>> think you'll find it.
>>>
>>> I have two identical systems that I have mobile racks in, allowing me
>>> to swap out the hard drives. So I have 4 sets of drives, Lightning,
>>> Daemon, FreakinBSD, and Gandalf.  I saw this issue with Daemon.  I
>>> need to update FreakinBSD and Gandalf, so I'll try this again and get
>>> it in a log file.
>>>
>>> libdrm doesn't build without cairo.h in /usr/local/include, but it
>>> won't be there until you're built cairo, which depends on libdrm.
>>>
>> As Lowell already said, I can't find any dependency between libdrm and
>> cairo. My guess is you package database has one or more stale
>> dependencies. However, if the purpose is to wipe all packages you don't
>> even have to bother with pkg_delete. In such cases I simply  rm
>> /usr/local and /var/db/pkg (Keep /var/db/pkg/linux_base-fc* if you are
>> using the linux binary compatibility, as this is not installed in
>> /usr/local but /usr/compat). I do this routinely on test systems.
>>

> On a system with cairo installed, try pkg_info -r cairo\*|grep drm
>
> Here's from one of my systems:
> Dependency: libdrm-2.4.9
>
> Since I used pkg_delete -a to get rid of all ports and packages, I
> couldn't have any stale dependencies, could I ?
>
> After that I went to /usr/ports/x11/xorg and did a make install and it
> failed.  My ports are recent, I'm tracking 7.2-RC1, etc.

my system setup is similar to yours.  cairo depends on libdrm in my
setup, however I can find nowhere that libdrm depends on cairo.  Does
the following complete successfully, if not what errors do you see?

update ports eg - portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/graphics/libdrm
make clean distclean deinstall reinstall

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator