Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:29:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmpfw in pine via NFS

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Alan Judge wrote:

> Daniel> /me shivers at the thought of my (easily) 500+ new messages a day
> Daniel> and hundreds of thousands of messages being stored one file for each
> Daniel> message...
>
> Works OK for us (and a number of even larger ISPs using Maildirs).
> Though we use NetApps for the file storage and they have a much better
> system for storing large numbers of files in a directory, so it
> doesn't get quadratically slower.  Largest single FS we have at the
> moment has about 3.5 million files in it; I don't know what the
> largest number of files in a single directory is, but I've seen 10s of
> thousands on occasion without problems.  It works much better than a
> large file per user and NFS file locking, which makes me shiver.

I agree that the one-file-per-message things scales fine--I have a fairly
dinky 486 w/24mb of RAM running my cyrus server, and it does just fine
with a lot of files for a fair number of messages:

Filesystem         1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree
%iused  Mounted on
/dev/wd1s1g           316999    45502   246138    16%    7224   69574
9%   /usr/var/spool/imap2
/dev/wd1s1f           496367   163672   292986    36%   27949   94929
23%   /usr/var/spool/imap
/dev/wd2s1e         19403838   838047 17013484     5%  179066 4513412
4%   /usr/var/spool/imap3

In fact, the whole thing scales a *lot* better than a single file per
folder, as a lot less time is spent seeking through large mailfiles
looking for arbitrarily located string boundaries, scanning through
attachments, etc.

I'm about to upgrade my cyrus server, but not because of performance
problems :-).

  Robert N M Watson