Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 05:26:24 +0900
From:      Tetsuro FURUYA <ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp>
To:        luoqi@watermarkgroup.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, heyer@cs.wisc.edu, Tetsuro Furuya <tfu@ff.iij4u.or.jp>
Subject:   Re:  swap_pager and vm_faults

In Message-ID: <199807100001.UAA12460@lor.watermarkgroup.com>
Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com> wrote:

> > Any idea what exactly would cause this?
> >
> > Jul  5 08:30:24 rancor /kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pagein failed;
> > blkno 708776, size 4096, error 22
>
> You have a bad sector on your swap partition. I presume this is an IDE disk,
> you may try using bad144 to map the bad sector out.
>
> > Jul  5 08:30:24 rancor /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware)
> > error, PID 197 failure
> > Jul  5 08:30:24 rancor /kernel: pid 197 (innd), uid 8: exited on signal 11
> >
> > As you can tell from innd, this machine is a news Server with 96 Megs of
> > RAM and 256 Megs of Swap.  While the CPU and Disk Drives are kept pretty
> > busy, it usually has plenty of memory to spare.  The time it occured (8:30
> > AM on a Sunday) and the fact the machine stayed up seems very strange to
> > me.  This machine has been rebooting about once a day on average for no
> > obvious reason, so I'm trying to investigate everything possible.
> >
> > --
> > John Heyer :: University of Wisconsin - Madison :: http://heyer.ml.org

Please take a glance at my posted mail,
07/09 Re: Disk problem. Message-Id:
<199807082149.GAA01464@galois.tf.or.jp>

FAX:
     048-858-1597
E-Mail:
     ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp , tfu@ff.iij4u.or.jp
pgp-fingerprint:
     pub  Tetsuro FURUYA <ht5t-fry@asahi-net.or.jp>
      Key fingerprint = F1 BA 5F C1 C2 48 1D C7  AE 5F 16 ED 12 17 75 38