Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:44:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), mckusick@mckusick.com (Kirk McKusick), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dynamic vs static sysctls?

> > Dynamically created OIDs should:
> >
> > 1)	Monotonically increase
>
> They don't seem to, this is the main problem with doing any translation,
> it looks like:
>
>         /*
>          * If this oid has a number OID_AUTO, give it a number which
>          * is greater than any current oid.  Make sure it is at least
>          * 100 to leave space for pre-assigned oid numbers.
>          */

This is really broken.

Common usage for OID subarcs is to take your base OID, and then
use the top level next tuple to assign it to an application, then
use the next tuple to do things like "dynamic", "static", "transient",
and so on.  Really, these things should be under a different top
level "oid_number" value entirely.

> Could cause some issues because it seems that if a sysctl were to
> "go away" the next one to apear under the same level will replace
> its number.

It's worse than that.  You can't dictate semantics, except for
on subbranches.  It seems to me that I'm perfectly OK to cache
the thing in a text file of my own application-specific choosing,
unless it specifically states that I'm not allowed to do that
because there's a non-cacheable semantic in effect.

I'm going back into lurk-mode now; OIDs just push my hot
button today, for some reason.  8-p.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---