Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 1998 11:45:05 -0500
From:      David Deaven <deaven@execpc.com>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD ROM Read/Write drive

I use a SCSI CDRW drive with FreeBSD.  The "cdrecord" port works great for
writing CDs.

Note that your drive will be recognized as a CD-ROM and work just fine for
that, but to write to it you need special software (like cdrecord).  CDRs are
not capable of doing block-at-a-time writes, like a disk drive or optical
drive.

You can dump a whole filesystem directly to a CDRW using cdrecord and mkisofs:

  mkisofs -a -l -L -R -r <filesys> | \
     (sleep 300; cdrecord -v speed=2 -datadev=XXX -)

the sleep allows mkisofs time to work through creating the TOC and be able to
provide a continuous stream of data to the recorder.

cdrecord also allows you to make audio CDs with no problem.

Good luck!