Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:22:08 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        ptiJo <ptiJo@noos.fr>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: divers SCSI questions...

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, ptiJo wrote:

>  	Here are the questions :)
>  	-1- does the data rates specify that, in general, the transfer
>  rate is 3.3 MBytes/sec ?

If you set it to asynchronous transfers, yes. Otherwise, it's 40MBps
synchronous.

>  	-2- 15 devices under DOS... would it be more under FreeBSD ? is
>  there also a limitation on total size that I would get (15*36Go or
>  15*9Go, for eg) ?

It's a limitation of the SCSI bus. You can put up to 15 devices (including
the host adapter) on it.

>  	-3- do I have to take special care ? I mean, the supported device
>  protocol are SCSI-{1,2,3} and Wide - do all disks (like those recent
>  above) supports @least one of them ? Or do I have to check the disks
>  specs to see which protocol they support ?

All the devices should use the same SCSI protocol, as otherwise they'll
run at the speed of the slowest device on the bus.

Make sure you have proper termination at the end of the SCSI bus, and good
quality cable.

--
Juha
Take off every sig!