Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:11:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      karl@mcs.net
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;

Well, I found one.

Talk to Pacific Computer Expansions, a gentleman by the name of Warren at
800-458-5058.

You want the CRD-5440.

This is a RAID 0, 0+1, 4 or 5 free-standing SCSI device.  It accepts cache
memory, and also has battery backup capabilities (attach a 6V Gelcel to it).

I have MEASURED *filesystem* I/O rates in excess of 10MB (yes, that is
megaBYTES/second) through this thing on a 5-disk array running RAID 5
doing *WRITES*.

RAW I/O is considerably faster, as you might expect, and reads are even
faster.  Reads appear to be limted by the Ultra SCSI interface.

This thing has 4 SCSI channels; any number can be delegated to disk and/or
host use.  Its ultra/wide, and comes in both a differential and single-ended
version.  Fits in a half-height drive bay (!), powered by a 40Mhz MIPS R3000
processor.  It accepts one or two 72-pin SIMMs with up to 512MB (!) of cache
memory; the cache, needless to say, grossly improves the performance,
especially in a read-intensive environment.

It has both a front panel and serial interface (you need to hook up a
terminal to configure it, but alarm reporting and rebuild control can be
done from the front panel).

One catch - you MUST HAVE either a UPS interfaced to this, or a gelcell.
The reason is the cache RAM - without one of those two it will refuse to
go "online", because a power loss will screw you badly.  With the UPS
interfaced to it the "low power alarm" will quiesce the host channel and
flush the cache, then shut down the controller - leading to a safe
power-down.  If you have the battery, then a power loss is also not
catastrophic (as long as the backup lasts at least).

The controller can handle up to 45 devices (!) in multiple RAID sets,
appears as a single target per host channel, and can be partitioned to
show multiple LUNs if you'd like.  Both hot and warm spare capabilities
are supported.

FreeBSD will boot from it just like any other disk.  Right now I have a
~30GB "disk" configured on this thing - 5 9G drives in a Raid 5
configuration.  It works right out of the box.

Its about a $2500 device, but given what it does, and the performance
levels it attains, its VERY reasonable.

I'm ordering six more of these for our server farm next week; for the money
its basically impossible to beat the performance and operational capabilities,
at least from what I've seen so far.  In the area of "small" RAID adapters
I've not seen anything that can come anywhere close to this thing's
performance levels.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service