Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:04:14 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, questions@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g)

On Thursday,  1 April 1999 at  9:46:18 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Out of interest I did a ``make all'' on the 3.1-R GENERIC kernel and
>>> these are my figures. My machine is an AMD K6/233 (an original K6,
>>> not a -2), 64MB memory, 128MB swap, U/W SCSI HD:
>>>
>>>               normal
>>>  Make all     4:25
>>>  Kernel size  2.2 MB
>>>  Directory size       6.3 MB
>>>
>>> Are the clock and clock multiplier jumpers set correctly on your
>>> m/b ;-).
>>
>> I'm wondering about that, too.  I just replaced a K6/233 with a
>> K6-2/333 and got almost no performance increase.  But the speed is
>> reported correctly on bootup.  I'm using a really old Conner drive,
>> and I suspect that's the bottleneck.
>>

> Hmm, what m/b are you using

One that you've almost certainly never heard of, a Rise Mustang R581A
with a SiS 5591/5595 chip set.

> (a K6-2/333 requires 100MHz doesn't it?).

No.  It can support 100MHz, but I don't know of any processors which
require it.

> I've noticed several m/b manufacturers announcing that their m/bs
> for the original K6's will run K6-2s with just a BIOS u/g. I'm a bit
> suspicious of that, AFAIK there are some significant architecture
> differences between the K6 and K6-2. Shouldn't that require a
> new/modified chipset to support properly?.

I don't see why.  Anyway, it works, and I don't even have enough
information to be sure that it's not working correctly.  The times
shown above were compiling on a big, old SCSI drive which is
definitely the slowest of the disks on my system (the others are all
fast IDE :-).

> Have you'd looked at http://www.amd.com ?

Yes, I've looked there, and downloaded a lot of information.

> They have lists of m/bs that they have tested (and approved) for
> each of their chips. I used that to decide which m/b to buy
> (Gigabyte GA586-TX3).

I don't see that at that URL.

Greg