Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 01:25:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        dan@westford.ccur.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rel-2.1.0 and msdos file systems

> Dan Malek stands accused of saying:
> > The problem I am having is with Release-2.1.0 and the MSDOS file
> > system partition.  Any modification to the 'C:' drive (/dev/wd0s1)
> > corrupts my FreeBSD root partition (/dev/wd0s2a).  The info:
> > 	I booted DOS 6.22 and ran FIPS to split up the drive:
>
> This is your problem; when FIPS shrunk your DOS drive, it reduced it such
> that the cluster size would normally be reduced.  This can't happen (for
> obvious reasons), but the FreeBSD MSDOSFS code becomes confused by the
> mismatch, and the corruption you're seeing is a result of this.
You didn't notice the following part:
"I have completely reformatted and reloaded MSDOS 6.22"

he also states that no requests are being made to write beyond the new slice.
the corruption is coming courtesy of the VFS code I think..
similarly, the other day my Dec-1 -current system scrambled all my
device's major and minor numbers (!) and removed a lot of files.
though it may have had something to do with a sick drive I had connected.