Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:33:06 +0100
From:      Colin Whittaker <grimnar+freebsd-net@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   bge driver issue

I have a dell poweredge 2550 with which I am having all sorts of
nasty network problems.
The network interface will just stop responding.
I get an error message like this:
Jun 18 08:19:38 shekondar /kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting

This is using the broadcom 10/100/1000 NIC on the mother board, the
intel 10/100 has had similar issues but produces no log messages.

duplex and speed settings are forced on both the card and the switch.
sometimes the kernel reset will clear the fault but sometimes you
need to ifconfig down / up the interface to get it going again.

This box has been running fine for several weeks, it is only as we have
started to shift to production levels of traffic to it that it has started
this. Approx 30M bits/sec out and 12M bits/sec inbound.

There was a simple ipfw ruleset on the box but I have disable that
just now to see if it helps.

Googleing has given me people who report similar problems but no
solutions / work arounds.

Have anyone got any suggestions as to what to do next.

Colin

Here is the output of postconf

bge0@pci1:8:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00d11028 chip=0x164414e4 rev=0x12
hdr=0x00                        vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
device   = 'BCM5700/1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
class    = network
subclass = ethernet

--
"Design" is like a religion - too much of it makes you inflexibly and unpopular.
		Linus Torvalds