Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:03:29 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Servers - Mail, Perl - MySQL - PHP and things.

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Grant Peel wrote:

> 1. Should I upgrade the perl version. FBSD comes with 5.005_03. I think the
> latest Perl distro was 5.8.
>    If yes, do I install directly from ports?
>        If yes, how do I ensure the old version is being ignored. I gues
> what I am really asking, is what is
>        the correct upgrade procedure?

Yes to 5.8, yes to from ports, and when you are finished installing it
from ports, just run 'use.perl port' and the old will be ignored ...

> 2. What are the key items to adhear to when installing FBSD and other
> software so that the OS remains upgradeable?

to be honest, install as much as you can from ports and use portupgrade
... every once in a while I get burned with an upgrade, where the software
made inconsistent changes with older versions (ie. Zope recently), but its
so rare that I can live with the 'seat of my pants learning' for those
couple of times ...

> For mail, I am currently using Exim (4.22) along with vm-pop3d, and
> Spamassassin. I implimented this combination so I could have truely virtual
> POP3 mbox's. I find little support for vm-pop3d, and I find Exim is alot of
> work to impliment (Routers, Transports etc).

postfix + cyrus imapd22 will give you 'truely virtual POP3 *and* IMAP
mboxes ...

> 4. Does anyne know of a better, still secure, simple method of managing
> virtual pop accounts that can still handle all the details? (Majordomo,
> Spamassassin etc).

See above ...

> 5. What are the latest releases of Apache, Perl PHP Mysql that seem to play
> nice for everyone.

The ones in ports ...

----