Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2007 12:45:29 +0000
From:      MQ <antinvidia@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   a question about prison_ip

Hi everyone,
    I was reading jail(8) related codes in the file kern_jail.c recently. I
found that prison_ip provided three parameters, the second of which is a
flag that indicate whether the third argument ip is host byte order or
network byte order. I skimmed the codes that invoke prison_ip function, all
of them calls prison_ip with flag=0 to indicate that the ip argument is in
network byte order.
    I'm considering if we can remove the flag parameter, and modify
corresponding source codes, say, userland program jail.c and jls.c to keep
consistent with the kernel. This can avoid some useless action taken by
current kernel. But I don't know if current implementation of the prison_ip
has some special reasons to act like this? Does anyone have opinions with
this problem?

Best regards.
MQ