Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 18:04:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic?

> On Tue, 25 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

I give up, call BusLogic technical support and ask them why your card
is reporting in the extended info command that the card is set to
async only mode.
(408) 654-0760

This is from the followind data structure at line 330 of bt742.c:

struct bt_ext_info {
	u_char  bus_type;	/* Host adapter bus type */
	u_char  bios_addr;	/* Bios Address-Not used */
	u_short max_seg;	/* Max segment List */
	u_char  num_mbx;	/* Number of mailbox */
	int32	mbx_base;	/* mailbox base address */
	struct	{
		u_char  resv1:2;	/* ??? */
		u_char	maxsync:1;	/* ON: 10MB/s , OFF: 5MB/s */
		u_char	resv2:2;	/* ??? */
		u_char	sync:1;		/* ON: Sync,  OFF: async ONLY!! */

		u_char	resv3:2;	/* ??? */
	} s;
	u_char  firmid[3];	/* Firmware ver. & rev. w/o last char */
};

> > >   The BIOS is disabled.  The card is set for e800.
> >
> > BINGO... with the BIOS disabled the advanced features are disabled, thus
> > sync mode is disabled.  E800 is not a valid address accourding to my
> > 946C manual, or at least not a valid I/O address. (330,334,230,234,130,134
> > is what it lists).
>
>   There appears to be no way to enable the BIOS.  This is sorta
> confusing.  The AutoSCSI utility works, so the BIOS must be accessible,
> but the AutoSCSI says it is "Disabled" and offers no way of changing it.

Oh, yea, that is right, you can't disable the BIOS, you can make it
go away on some motherboards that don't do the PNP stuff right by
setting JP4 and JP5 to be both OFF, this is ``System BIOS'' mode.  It
is also what you set it to if you have more than 1 card for the 2nd
and later cards :-).

> > Do you have the ``Set Host Adapter I/O Port Address as Default'' set
> > to YES?
>
>   Tried it both ways.  When set to Default, it detects it as a ISA card.
> When set to disabled, and FreeBSD is set to use base port e800, it
> detects it a EISA card.

I've always left it set to default.

> > Also from looking in the book there is an option ``Enable Fast Transfer'',
> > this must be set to YES to get sync mode.
>
>   There are all on YES.
>
> > Whould you please tell me the state of jumpers JP4 and JP5.
>
>   They are both off.  I tried a couple different configurations with just
> JP4 on, or just JP5 on, but the machine reached the Buslogic screen and
> just stopped.  The AutoSCSI util reports that the BIOS is at C800

You motherboard is one of the few that I have seen that actually will
work with the bt946C set to this mode.  Is what I have found is that
if it you have JP4/JP5 set for system bios and it hangs, set it for
one of the addresses and it usually works.  I have never seen a MB that
will run it either way :-(.

> > I don't even see E800 as a valid BIOS address.
>
>   It is the IO port, not the BIOS address.  I never refered to it a BIOS
> address.

No, but it suspeciosly looked like one, and since I have never bothered
to turn off the set host adapter I/O port address as default thing, I
have never seen a card use anything but the 330, 334, ... addresses.