Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:31:04 +1100
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VPN tunnels using gif interface

Sorry to be nuisance, but I followed the instructions on your website
step by step on a FreeBSD 4.5 machine and still no go. My setup is as
follows:

INTERNAL LAN               FreeBSD 4.5 Box                   INTERNET
192.16.0.0/24 --------------               -------------------
                      Int. Interface      Ext. Interface
                      192.168.0.1         111.222.333.444

You have a line as follows in mpd.conf:

set ipcp ranges 192.168.100.200/32 192.168.100.220/32

I assume that 192.168.100.200/32 should be the internal IP of the
FreeBSD box and 192.168.100.220/32 (as you mention) is the IP address
assigned to the client.

You also have the following line in mpd.links:
set pptp self XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

You mention "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address of the host on which mpd
is running". My question is should XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX be the internal or
external IP of the host....

The other question I have is when I finally do all the configuration
and run /usr/local/sbin/mpd -b shouldn't I have something start
listening on port 1723 (like the MS implementation)? A netstat -an
reveals nothing but ssh running.

Sorry to be a pest but I really do appreciate all your help.....