Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:09:38 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot install apache22 on FBSD 8.0

--------------enig07DD2AE5B571021D0FA37357

PJ wrote:
> Gentlemen,
> I am absolutely stupefied by apache22, php5, php5-extensions and
> phpmysql refusing to be updated or installed
> I did manage to do one installation on a freshly upgraded box from 7.2
> to 8.0 but with very frustrating and time consuming efforts. I still
> don't know how I managed, but it seems to work, for the moment anyway.
> Could someone explain to me why there is a problem with apache22, php5
> and the rest - when doing an upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0.
> I followed the instructions in the handbood to the letter and both time=
> there is a problem.
> Am I doing something that is not evident in the instructions. Even the
> apache site states very clearly that and update is about as simple as
> could be.
> The long list of errors when installing apache seem to deal with a lot
> of undeclared stuff (first use in this function) for a lot of uldap
> stuff like cache, connection etc. etc.
> How does one deal with this as there seems to be nothing on google.
> TIA

You're installing quite a complex interconnected group of ports there, an=
it can go wrong in any number of new and exciting ways.  We can't tell ex=
actly
what has gone wrong from what you tell us -- but it's almost certainly a
problem fairly high up the dependency tree which is screwing things up fo=
all of the ports lower down you're having trouble with.

As a general strategy for making this work, probably the most effective
route is 'back to square one.'  Rip out everything that apache, php etc.
depend on, and start again from scratch.  This includes all options setti=
ngs
for those ports under /var/db/ports/.

When reinstalling a group of interconnected ports like this, I find it
beneficial to sort out all of the OPTIONS settings over the whole depende=
ncy
tree before trying to compile anything.  One of the unfortunate character=
istics
of the way OPTIONS processing works at the moment is that changing an opt=
ion
somewhere can add or remove other ports from the dependency tree, and tho=
se in=20
their turn may have their own OPTIONS settings, but those OPTIONS are not=
=20
processed in that pass.  There are patches to correct that behaviour in P=
R=20
ports/141641 but until that or something like it is committed, the trick =
is
to run 'make config-recursive' repeatedly, until you no longer get presen=
ted=20
with any of the blue OPTIONS dialogues.

Some ports may not give you an OPTIONS dialogue but still have configurat=
ion
settings you can tweak by setting make(1) variables.  In this case, I rec=
ommend
preserving your settings by adding them to /etc/make.conf.  Changing a se=
tting like this can affect the dependency tree in exactly the same way as=
 changing an
option, so re-running 'make config-recursive' /yet again/ is a good idea.=

I wrote a piece about this earlier in the context of reinstalling all por=
ts as
part of the process of upgrading 7.2 -> 8.0, which you might like to refe=
r to:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-January/210449.=
html

Note: there's a fairly tricky interplay between www/apache22 and devel/ap=
which only affects you if you enable the APR_FROM_PORTS option in the apa=
che22
OPTIONS dialogue -- both www/apache22 and devel/apr can be configured to =
add=20
dependencies on all sorts of fairly large software groups (Berkeley DB, M=
ySQL,=20
LDAP, PostgreSQL ...) and to toggle threading support.  Empirically I've =
come=20
to the conclusion that if you're compiling against devel/apr, then devel/=
apr=20
has to include matching support for all the software groups enabled in th=
e=20
apache22 options, or building apache22 will fall over in a twisty mess of=
=20
dependencies, all alike.  However, you pretty much cannot get the OPTIONS=
=20
settings right in one pass of 'make config-recursive' starting from the=20
www/apache22 directory.  You can avoid some trouble by *not* enabling
the APR_FROM_PORTS option -- which is the default, but loses some flexibi=
lity
if you're going to be rebuilding Apache or any 3rd party apache modules q=
uite
a bit.

	Cheers,

	Matthew