Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:05:17 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

Chuck Robey wrote:

> I don't know enough about the bootblocks ... I just followed Mike's
> steps in getting myself installed ok, but is it possible to write a
> program that could probe the boot disk, read the bootblocks, and decide
> if they need upgrading ... and if they do, printing a warning message,
> and then refuse to install the new kernel?
>
> If this could be done, you know this will save a *lot* of complaints
> about insufficient warnings.  You could warn until you're hoarse,
> they'll *still* miss it, unless the build process itself screams at

It'd be reasonably simple to do a dd/sh script to detect whether the
new (/sys/boot/i386/boot2) bootblocks are installed.  But detecting
whether the old boot blocks are up to the task of loading boot/loader
is probably a non-starter.

Don't think one could really refuse to install the kernel.  Though a
default option to preserve a /kernel.aout (if otherwise no aout kernel
would be available in /) may be an easy route, if we must protect
folks from themselves.

--
Robert Nordier