Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:15:20 +0200
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail check_rcpt fix

At 11.52 20/04/99 GMT, you wrote:
>The "check_rcpt" ruleset as shipped with the
>sendmail.cf file that comes with the 3.1-RELEASE
>appears to be broken. It does not allow machines
>on a local LAN with unregistered IP addresses to
>relay mail through a server running 3.1-RELEASE with
>the stock sendmail.cf file. The mail is rejected with
>"relaying denied" from the check_rcpt ruleset.

  AFAIK, it's not a bug, it's a feature... Sendmail >= 8.9.x changed the
previous default "open" relaying policy to deny "foreign" systems relaying
mail to other "foreign" systems (anti-spam rule). I guess local machines
with unregistered IPs are "foreign" from the sendmail's point of view.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it