Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:37:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

> Actually, used Sparc stuff seems to be readily, and cheaply available.  I

Yes, but not the 64-bit UltraSPARC, and that's what this port is
initially (and perhaps forever) going to be targetted at.  The cheap
hardware is only likely to be good for running NetBSD in the
short-to-medium term, but if that's what you're into then go for
it. :-)

For the record, I doubt that adding support for the earlier SPARCs is
going to be as trivial as everyone expects, and I don't expect Jason
Evans' bosses to put too much effort into this either considering that
the already-sold hardware is not very important to their bottom
line. :) Remember that we *had* a SPARC port at one stage but it died
for lack of attention (I don't even think anyone even has the bits
around anymore), so if something's not done directly by Jason then I'm
a bit skeptical about it happening at all.

					Jordan