Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:11:53 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: difference in SIGCHLD behavior between Linux and FreeBSD breaks apt

I believe the

On 7/6/16 9:34 PM, Matthew Macy wrote:
> As a first step towards managing linux user space in a chrooted /compat/linux, initially for i915 testing with intel gpu tools, later on to get widevine and steam to work I'm trying to get apt to work. I've fixed a number of issues to date in pseudofs/linprocfs but now I'm running in to a bug caused by differences in SIGCHLD handling between Linux and FreeBSD. The situation is that apt will spawn dpkg and wait on a pipe read. On Linux when dpkg exits the  SIGCHLD to apt causes a short read on the pipe which lets apt then continue. On FreeBSD a SIGCHLD is silently ignored. I've even experimented with doing a kill -20 <apt pid> to no effect.
>
> It would be easy enough to check sysvec against linux in pipe_read and break out of the loop when it's awakened from msleep (assuming there aren't deeper issues with signal propagation for anything other than SIGINT/SIGKILL) and then do a short read. However, I'm assuming that anyone who has worked in this area probably has a cleaner solution.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you need a hack in pipe_read and not one of the following
possibilities:
1) a setting for the default signal disposition for linux processes
needs to be fixed.
2) a flag set in p_flag2 that says set this behavior properly in a
generic manner.

Again not sure why you need to hack pipe_read and not just make sure
that SIGCHLD is generated...

Finally that sure is oddball behavior, dpkg probably has a bug where the
parent is keeping the write side of the pipe open, you might be able to
get them to take a patch upstream to fix that.

-Alfred