Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:01:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates

> :As a consequence, FreeBSD lost out for being considered a candidate
> :at NASA/Ames for large mass storage. Shrug...It may or may not be
> :true that softupdates, per se, are stable. In my opinion, FFS as
> :offered by FreeBSD (and NetBSD) have not shown themselves to be
> :adequate to large (>500GB) filesystems. Sad to say, ext2 under
> :linux works better.
>
>     Matt, I don't recall seeing anything from you in regards to
>     large filesystems.  Looking in the archives, I see one report
>     on Jan 27th from you relating to softupdates, but you indicate
>     that softupdates was not enabled on the volume in question,
>     so it seems unlikely that it is related to softupdates specifically.

I was misremembering. Softupdates wasn't the issue here but there *had*
been some question about whether this was a problem with softupdates *not*
enabled- that was from way earlier- sorry for jumping into the wrong
thread and sorry for also probably letting a less than felicitous tone
enter this email- I think I'm just really irritated that I didn't get mail
back from Luoqi.

>     There have been several reports of dirty-buffer panics which is
>     of concern, but I haven't been able to reproduce the panic myself
>     yet.

Really? I found it fairly easy to reproduce in that every time I had a
large filesystem (e.g. > 10GB) and ran some fairly simple tests that
exercise VM and Filesystem interactions (simple code available on request-
NetBSD and FreeBSD fail in interesting and uninteresting ways. Solaris and
Linux pass unless there's an underlying h/w problem). I stopped testing
when I wasn't getting any response on this (see below for why)- but if
somebody is thinking of attacking this problem again I can certainly do
some testing (I may not be able to make test systems directly available
because of some NASA policies but I can probably snag some systems for
myself to run tests with- I have a couple of FreeBSD systems running
NASA/Ames still plus the ones I have at Feral (although Feral's disk
resources are substantially *less* than NASA/Ames!)).

Here's a couple of private emails that listed problems I was seeing. It
really seems to live down in the realloc blocks code. I wasn't subscribed
to freebsd-hackers back then, so I probably just didn't get this problem
announced to the right group.