Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 06:46:58 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Sub-problem B (sigframe) doesn't need to be handled, because:
> 	1. none of the tools require ...
Correct, this is a "non-problem".

> Sub-problem A (syscalls) can be easily handled if the syscalls are added
> to a -stable kernel.

Wrong. I CANNOT rebuild the kernel that runs my build machine.

What we need is to (effectively) remove these syscalls from the tools in
question. This can be done with conditional compilation or a compatability
library.

Each tool should be evaluated for its functionality.
If the host's tool has the required functionality, there is no reason to
upgrade it in order to build the "foreign" (4.0) system. For example, "cat".
If the host's tool is inappropriate, we MUST build a cross-build version.
In many cases, this simply means that we compile the source of the tool with
the host's headers.  In others, it is more complex, but it can, and should, be
done.