Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:38:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Pavel V. Antipov" <pavel@ikar.elect.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About floppy, please

On Tuesday, 15 December 1998 at 10:44:57 +0300, Pavel V. Antipov wrote:
> Hi !
>
> When I formatted 1.4M floppy as discribed in /etc/disktab, I got
> 1218K total disk space and 1180K free disk space.
>
> But I want to have 1440K total disk space.
>
> How can I format floppy correctly ?

This has nothing to do with formatting floppies.  The floppies always
have 1.4 MB space, but the file system on the floppy has a lot of
overhead (so do Microsoft floppies, but you don't see that).

> 1. fdformat -f 1440 /dev/fd0.1440

So far, so good.

> 2. disklabel -B -r -w /dev/fd0.1440 fd1440
> 3. newfs -t 2 -u 18 /dev/fd0.1440

To get full value, don't do this.  Instead use tar to save data on the
floppy.  It's faster, and it uses the complete storage space.

Greg