Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:28:44 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        ericdano@jazz-sax.com
Cc:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backing up a file system... How do I preserve the file flags?

In message <3A3E70E0.9AA146F8@jazz-sax.com>, you wrote:

>Why not just RAID them?

That's an interesting idea, but please tell me, can I ``just RAID''
a pre-existing filesystem that is only present one one of the two
disk drives in question?

It seems to me like it is a chicken-and-egg problem.  To RAID these two
drives together, they should both have identical contents to begin with
correct?

But if I knew how to achieve that state, then my problem would already be
(mostly) solved.  I mean hay!  If I can replicate all of the data from
one drive to the other... well... that's essentially what I was trying
to do in the first place anyway, so if I can do that, then I don't need
to RAID anything.

P.S.  Yes, I guess that I could perhaps just dd everything from one raw
disk device to the other, but I have trouble convining myself that doing
that is really a safe thing to do, in particular when the input raw disk
device is home to a live file system which is actually mounted at the
present moment.  (What if some of the file systems's directory entires
change as I am doing the dd?)