Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 12:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/26793: New port: java/ibm-jdk

The following reply was made to PR ports/26793; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To: Hye-Shik Chang <perky@python.or.kr>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 21:08:54 +0200

 > >[1] I suggest using the link to the download page as I suggested in a previous
 > >    reply to your PR (see the audit trail), it's:
 > >
 > >     * http://www6.software.ibm.com/dl/dklx130/dklx130-p

 Okay, then perhaps include both, because this link may allow people to find
 the file minutes earlier. What's the disadvantage?

 >  I think that url can be changed sometime by ibm's web service
 >  layout policy or their load balancing. so, I'm sorry but it seems to
 >  be more suitable for freebsd port
 >  http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux130.

 You may be right about the load balancing and/or layout policies. And yet, if
 the link is changed, we could just change the port :)

 >  and I uploaded final(maybe?) port shar. You can download it from
 >  http://www3.kr.freebsd.org/~perky/distfiles/linux-ibm-jdk.txt

 Downloaded it. And found that the name of the port is "linux-ibm-jdk" although
 IBM provides several JDKs for Linux, including 1.1 and 1.2 JDKs. Perhaps
 "linux-ibm-jdk13" is a better name? This is in this respect analog to the name
 of the other non-IBM Linux JDKs, which are named "linux-jdk" and
 "linux-jdk13". My suggestion would be to change the names of these ports as
 well, but I'll submit a new PR for that.

 Oh, and I must say the Makefile looks very professional! Gonna have to look at
 it to improve my own ports a bit =)

 Ernst

 --
 Ernst de Haan
 Java Architect

     "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
         and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ