Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:38:36 -0500
From:      wrangled <wrangled@verizon.net>
To:        Astrodog <astrodog@gmail.com>
Cc:        Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *EVER* support Hp Pavillion laptops?

Astrodog wrote:

>On 12/3/05, Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 01:43:18 -0500
>>wrangled <wrangled@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Every year I try the latest version of FreeBSD to see if it works on
>>>my HP Pavillion 5445, and each year it hangs as soon as the intaller
>>>gets to acpi.ko.
>>>

>>Did you try unloading ACPI when you boot the install cd ?
>>

>>>Yes, I've tried everything.  No, it still doesn't work.
>>>

>>How much of everything did you try ?
>>

>>>It's my only machine that cannot run FreeBSD.
>>>It just seems odd since the machine is fairly mainstream.
>>>
>>>I am mostly just curious at this point.

>More laptop details, please?

It is a zv5445us HP Pavillion.  512MB, P4, 100GB drive.  The BIOS does
not let you turn off hyperthreading, or turn off ACPI (I got what I paid
for, I guess).

I've tried every option from the install menus on FreeBSD 4.x, 5.x, and
6.x.  For the custom boot (#6 on 6.0-Release) , I normally try:

   set hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
   set hint.apic.0.disabled=1
   set kern.smp.disabled-1

I'm not a FreeBSD expert, so maybe there are better options I should
try.  Google normally has the top two (acpi and apic).

Any suggestions?

thanks!