Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:33:08 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I use FreeBSD-current?? (sony vaio hardware)

> Sadly, very little information about FreeBSD-7 can be
> found on the net. My hardware is Sony Vaio FJ170/B
> (FJ1S/W) laptop. Please let me know if you have
> experience with any of the following:
>
> 1. CPU frequency scaling for Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
> processor 1.73GHz (centrino).
>
> 2. Hibernate / Standby support for Intel Corporation
> Mobile 915GM chipset
>
> 3. Wireless with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless
> 2200BG card
>
> 4. Sony ACPI support for screen brightness adjustment

I have a recent Sony Vaio (VGN-C1) running under 6.2 RELEASE

First note that sound works very well with the binary  snd_hda
from Ariff Abdullah.
http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/

1) seems to work

2) doesn't work at all. Even halt -p hangs before shutting down the
computer. I have tried a recent CURRENT, does the same. Once i got
in the debugger, the machine apparently hanged while powering down the
pccard controller.

3) works with Damien Bergamini driver 20070121-wpi-freebsd but
maybe produces memory corruption (tolerable ...)

4) works with kernel module acpi_sony. Only needs to tweak a sysctl to
adjust screen brightness, the keyboard key is not recognized.

The worse problem is ACPI, it doesn't work OK with Ubuntu either.
All in one, and despite memory corruption with Intel wireless the
laptop works better with FreeBSD than Ubuntu for me.

--

Michel TALON