Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:13:41 +0200
From:      "Marcel Prisi" <marcel-lists@virtua.ch>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PostgreSQL & shared memory

Hi all !

We just published a new website running on FreeBSD 4.4 prerelease 10 august
/ apache 1.3.20 / php 4.0.6 / PostgreSQL 7.1.2 .

In fact we moved the site from a Win2k/iis/sqlserver to BSD, and we have a
HUGE amount of hits, and the machine is already getting overloaded.
PostgreSQL seems like a ressource hog. The machine is a bi-PIII 866Mhz,
380Mb RAM, Adaptec 2100s.

I had to stop using both keepalive in apache and persistent connections in
php in order to keep the machine from swapping and not responding anymore.
The load is extremely high as some SQL queries are really hard ...

The first thing we'll do is install some more memory, and then a separate
machine for PostgreSQL.

My question is : what are the settings I should add to be able to handle
about 400-500 connections to PostgreSQL ? What about shared memory & FreeBSD
kernel ?

Thanks for your help.

Here are some parts of the current kernel configuration file :

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           FBSD1
maxusers        128
options         NMBCLUSTERS=16384

# System V shared memory and tunable parameters
options         SYSVSHM         # include support for shared memory
options         SHMMAXPGS=4096  # max amount of shared memory pages (4k on
i386)
options         SHMSEG=256      # max shared memory segments per process

# System V semaphores and tunable parameters
options         SYSVSEM         # include support for semaphores
options         SEMMAP=256       # amount of entries in semaphore map
options         SEMMNI=256       # number of semaphore identifiers in the
system
options         SEMMNS=512       # number of semaphores in the system
options         SEMMNU=256       # number of undo structures in the system

# System V message queues and tunable parameters
options         SYSVMSG         # include support for message queues

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O