Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 18:38:50 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysinstall segfault [was: userconfig fails during 4.3R install]

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 08:58:23AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

> When I boot off the 4.3 CD, I get the normal "press any key to
> boot now or wait ten seconds" prompt, at which it responds to my
> keystrokes (or waits) and continues obediently. It doesn't stop
> to offer userconfig but goes straight through to the install menu.
> All looks good, but it's frozen, my keyboard doesn't work, big red
> switch time.

[...]

> How am I going to install this thing? Do I really have to install 4.0
> then grab the 4.3 sources off CD and make world? :-(

Well, that's just what I spent today doing...
installed 4.0 from CD, /4.3cdrom/src/install.sh, buildworld,
installworld, buildkernel, installkernel (using old kernel config file
saved from its 4.2 days), mergemaster including MAKEDEV, and I even built
and installed the new sysinstall, so everything should be in synch. It
booted up just fine, and ps doesn't complain.

Now when I run /stand/sysinstall I get a segmentation fault.
Any idea why? Is there something about the recent versions of
sysinstall that it won't work on this machine, neither during nor
after install, or have I goofed somewhere? There's a core file
but I don't know how to debug them, or even if it's worth doing.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-