Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 21:08:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: silo overflows??

It looks like I've found out a reason of these
overflows.

When I try to download any MP3 file from WWW I have an
old habit to buffer about 10% to hard drive and play
it back using XMMS to make sure it's good enough
quality to download all the file. IMHO, wget or
another downloader over PPP expects problems while
writing data to the file still being used by different
application [XMMS], so data is kept in FIFO buffers,
waiting. But seconds pass and file is still on use, so
serial port FIFO buffers get overflown.
When I stop XMMS, downloading process continues
normally and error messages cease.

Rhett

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>